The Official Happy Fruit
Watermelon is a summertime staple and it is easy to see why. It’s delicious, nutritious, and brings a smile with every slice! Even sweeter, you don’t have to go far to find a locally grown watermelon. Illinois and Indiana grown watermelons are in stores now!
Happiness is just a slice away!
Wondering how to pick the best watermelon? Queen Abby has you covered!
Try the Look, Lift, Turn!
- Look the watermelon over.
- You are looking for a firm watermelon that is free from bruises, cuts or dents. Scratching is okay as these guys endure a lot of handling on their way to your kitchen.
- Lift it up.
- The watermelon should be very heavy for its size. Watermelon is 92% water, most of the weight is water.
- Turn it over.
- The underside of the watermelon should have a creamy yellow spot from where it sat on the ground and ripened in the sun.
- What about the thumping method? We don’t promote beating up the watermelons by thumping, patting, slapping, flicking or knocking.
The Look, Lift, Turn is tried and true. If you do insist on trying the thump, you’re listening for a dull, muffled, hollow sound to tell if it’s ripe. If it’s unripe, the sound may be more of a metallic, clear ring. Another way to describe the tones elicited by thumping is a “ping” for unripe or a “pong” when ready.